Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Beast French Bread Ever!


This is a recipe I got from my French teacher in high school and is still my favorite. I lost it for about ten years, kinda. I knew it was somewhere in my Mom's recipe collection but she couldn't find it forever. A few months ago I was desperately searching for another recipe that looked appealing and was unsuccessful. Then one magic day, while I was on Skype with my Mother, she was going through her recipes and suddenly said...."I just found your French Bread Recipe."
It was an exceptionally happy Day!!!!

Ingredients
2        Cups Warm Water
1        Pkg.  Yeast
1        Tbls. Sugar
2        tsp.  Salt
5 3/4 Cups Flour
Egg Wash

Dissolve the yeast in warm water. Combine Sugar, Salt, and 3 cups of flour. Add yeast mixture. Beat smooth, then stir in around 2 1/2 cups flour.( This will vary depending on where you live. In WA I use pretty much all the flour, in UT I don't.) Knead with remaining flour until smooth. Place in an oiled bowl til doubled in size. Punch down and shape. I like to do two short fat loaves, but you can do baguettes if you want. 
To shape, cut the dough into two equal parts and form desired loaves. place on baking sheet (I use warmed baking stone) and make three slices across top and allow to rise til doubled in size. 
After risen coat in an egg wash. ( Beaten  Egg with a bit of water) Bake at 425* for 30-35 min, til nice and brown. Then make sure you eat some of it warm!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment